The Black gladiator of KM 7 ( A breif segment of Roman History init )

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Black gladiator of KM 7 ( A breif segment of Roman History init )

Post  octavian on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 am

The Black Gladiator of km 7 - On the Via Apia 7 km from the Servian Gate is a marker which has the following inscribed on it in Latin - On this spot in the year 58 ad an armed struggle took place between 6 bandits and two travelers - The travellers in a cart were attacked and quite likely would have been killed were it not for the intervention of a Gladiator, also traveling to Rome, who seeing the attackers launched himself into the fray and with no thought for himself slew the bandits. The bandits were cut to shreds three of their number beheaded the rest cleaved in twain - The Gladiator having cleaned the blood from his gladius remounted his horse and resumed his journey as if nothing untoward had occurred. The two travellers had but the briefest of time to thank him for his assistance - The travellers were young Julius Caesar and his uncle Lucius. Authors note : The term "cleaved in twain" was in common usage at this time and indeed survived up the middle ages - What doe's the term mean ? Answers on a postcard to Wee Jock pooplop McGrew ward 10 Netley sarfhampton on solent near Portsmouth init Hants ; enclose £ 17.25p for adminastrative costs ( the annual pissup init )

Last edited by Mickius Brutus Mackius - An eye witness to the event - Et Verbatim

Authors Note : I exagerated about the Gladiator, he wasn't black - Julius & Lucius Caesar, plus the horse and cart, were there however -
octavian

View user profile http://mickmacspain@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Gnomes in Rome ?

Post  octavian on Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:25 pm

They had Gnomes in Rome you know - But no Trolls apparently - Lucius Gnominus in his many letters to Caesar, said in one such letter; The gnomes are out amongst the plebs, spreading the word of your triumphant return, init - Always one to exaggerate Lucius went on to say; today saw the arrival of lots of gnomes, over 10.000 of em but no-one actually spotted a Troll. Although it was rumoured that 88.000 were seen on the Via Flamilia just after dawn by Lucius. Obviously knowing that Lucius was prone to exaggerate we must take the number with a pinch of salt, as the saying has it init - Caesar was no exception he summened Lucius to his winter camp at Ravena. Asking him to verify the sighting and the numbers. Lucius was horrified that he would be caught out & blurted out yeh but no but yeh but no but - His face turned scarlet steam issued forth from his ears and his head exploded covering Caesar and his Legates in brain tissue - For phukksake said Brutus Antonius, wiping brain and bits of skull off his shiny new breastplate, what the hades happened ? Caesar did not hesitate to offer a solution "high blood pressure init" he said and everyone present nodded in agreement - FINI

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum - init
octavian

Back to top Go down

Re: The Black gladiator of KM 7 ( A breif segment of Roman History init )

Post  Aussie Nick on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:04 pm

G'day Mickius,
Were these Gnomes the garden variety?
Aussie Nick. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

great reading

Post  legscott86 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Great reading Octavian, Read some of your threads on another forum(wont say which one) before they punted me, says I was selling things on thier forum, so when I get back home gonna try and get on by my own computer as this one here at work is probably the ferkin problem, ip addy and all that polava, wernit.
legscott86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  octavian on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:31 am

Aussie Nick wrote:G'day Mickius,

G'Day nicko - Not as such - These guys were the real thing of which "garden Gnomes derived" Caesar, so legend has it, had a couple stuffed and mounted and then placed in his garden by way of decoration. People liked the idea and the rest is history
octavian

Back to top Go down

Post  octavian on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:37 am

legscott86 wrote:Great reading Octavian, Read some of your threads on another forum(wont say which one) before they punted me, says I was selling things on thier forum, so when I get back home gonna try and get on by my own computer as this one here at work is probably the ferkin problem, ip addy and all that polava, wernit.

Thanks for the that legs - When you get back on home ground certain all will be hunky dorey ( Maj DWF Taylor - His favorite saying ) Was it due to the book M8 ?
octavian

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:33 am

octavian wrote:
Aussie Nick wrote:G'day Mickius,

G'Day nicko - Not as such - These guys were the real thing of which "garden Gnomes derived" Caesar, so legend has it, had a couple stuffed and mounted and then placed in his garden by way of decoration. People liked the idea and the rest is history
Well I'll be stuffed
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stuffed

Post  octavian on Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:52 am

G'Day Nicko

if your serious about being stuffed - We can arrange it

On your demise Many many years away - we can stuff you and have you mounted on a pedestal in the AB Forces Museum - Now how@s that old chum - Dressed in your favorite gear Beret smock denison denins 58 patt belt DMS 7 puttees, you will look outstanding, O and an SLR with wooden furniture - joy of joys eh A proper rifle that actually works not like the SA 80 shite the boys are forced to use nowadays -
octavian

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:44 am

octavian wrote:G'Day Nicko

if your serious about being stuffed - We can arrange it

On your demise Many many years away - we can stuff you and have you mounted on a pedestal in the AB Forces Museum - Now how@s that old chum - Dressed in your favorite gear Beret smock denison denins 58 patt belt DMS 7 puttees, you will look outstanding, O and an SLR with wooden furniture - joy of joys eh A proper rifle that actually works not like the SA 80 shite the boys are forced to use nowadays -

G'day Mickius,
Before all the sartorial splendour you mention we had Battle dress and 37 Patt equipment which had to be blancoed with Pickerings light green blanco and before putees we had gaiters. Also when we first started training at Maida Bks we were issued with the famous Lee-Enfield No4 rifle with real wooden furniture. Ask Tug Wilson. Then we got 44 Patt equipment and were allowed to use Maroon paint on our 37 Patt Web Belts, then came the 58 Patt equipment and the special clothing for all different types of warfare, Jungle, Desert, Arctic.... Smocks Dennison, Shirts Flannel, Trowsers OG, Boots DMS and Putees and not forgetting Socks wollen Gray. and the good old SLR 7.62 or .308 inch with real clout.
Aussie Nick. bounce Laughing
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:16 am

Yes Nick that was how it was,
I also remember Support Coy and D Coy being sent to Canada for artic warfare training in the early 60s, with the MODs idea of extra artic clothing needed to survive in 50 degree below zero temperatures,1 x Pair of long johns,1 x Balaclarva,1 x String vest,1 x extra pair of socks,1 x Pair of woolen gloves.
When we arrived at Fort Churchill(up on the Hudson Bay)where the Polar bears live, and the Canadians asked to see what kit we had, they pissed themselves with laughter,and had to kit us out with their kit for the duration,it was that cold that even the alcohol in the prismatic compasses froze solid and were useless.
We were put into 5 man tent/sledge groups(two pulling,one steering,the other two on the lookout as protection),and told that if we got cold in the night to get out of the "Magget" and chop down a tree,all night long you could hear shouts of "Timber" as down came another tree.Even your, Shite froze solid as soon as it came out of you.More tales of that trip at another time.Happy days.
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:27 am

G'day Tug
It was the same in Norway if you remember, those wonderful Ponchos we were issued with snapped in half when they were frozen.
Aussie Nick Very Happy Very Happy
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:23 pm

Yes Nick i remember that, and it didn't help landing on a DZ which was under 2/3 feet of water just to get things off to a good start,can't say i was dry or warm for the whole time, except at the end in those bell tents with the fire in the middle,the steam coming off us made them like Swedish saunas.
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You were lucky to have a bell tent

Post  octavian on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:55 am

Greetings Tug & Nicko - Couldn't help reading your thrilling and chilling account of Winter Warfare. I was drawn to it all the more as it reminded me of our experience in Alaska. We didn't have bell tents, we didn't even have poncho's the best we could manage was to dig a hole and huddle together to keep warm. When we needed to take a piss we had to get out of the hole to avoid slashing all over em init - Finishing your pish, due to the sub zero temperature, you had to snap it off to get the old chap back into your kacks. Thats when I learnt not to eat yellow snow, one of many lessons to be chewed swallowed and digested if you are to survive init - The best way to survive in Arctic conditions is don't go OK - If someone says "there's an Artic expedition coming up soon, do you fancy it ?" Tell them to phukkoff affraid
octavian

Back to top Go down

Birthday Boy.

Post  Tug Wilson on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:56 am

Happy Birthday Mick,have a few Sherbets and a really great day.
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  octavian on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:05 am

Tug Wilson wrote:Happy Birthday Mick,have a few Sherbets and a really great day.

Thanks Tug - Had a few "warmers into the bank" last nite and slept under the stars - excellent drunken
octavian

Back to top Go down

belated birfday greetingd innit

Post  legscott86 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:13 pm

Sorry to have not posted on the day 'O' but here's my hand and here's my heart' airbounebrotherhood, x
legscott86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  octavian on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:29 am

Its been some time since my last offering - Writers cramp ? Mental block ? PC Crash ? No none of these - The reason is simply idleness, pure unerdulterated bone idleness init - In truth time flies dunnit and wot with one thing and another this and that and so forth - Anyway I hope you all enjoy the reunion and have a few wets for me - ABF Day at the Shot will see me celebrating with the old & bold - So until then mon ami y amigos of the Brotherhood of Valhalla - Adios
octavian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top