Arnhem Tribute

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Arnhem Tribute

Post  Tug Wilson on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:35 am

Bearing in mind it was 65 years this month, i saw this on another site and thought you would all be interested.The heroic forefathers of our Regiment.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=45433638
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Arnhem Tribute

Post  Aussie Nick on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:19 pm

G'day Tug, don't forget that there were a couple of the Arnhem boys in 3 Para when we got there Do you remember old Nick, he was carrying wounded down to the boats when a shell exploded near them and when he woke up he was on the other side of the Rhine and safe.
Aussie Nick

Last edited by Aussie Nick on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Arnhem

Post  mick bramley on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi Tug & Mick,
Whent over there this year with G Duffas, had a great time . Wetook over five Arnhem Vets, made me feel very humble. The people of Holland remember it far more than us Brits. We were invited into there houses ect , they just could not have done more for us.
The prays and laying wreaths at the cemetary was very special, and the chilldren laying flowers, not a dry eye in the place.
To change the subject , hope you havent got ant excuse about the reuion at colchester this year Tug, would be nice to see you there to Mick. Take care
Mick Bramley

mick bramley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Arnhem Tribute

Post  Kentish Lad on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi Aussie Nick,

You should recall Cpl Nicholson as you had the same surname you had to be known by your last three 007!! That caused some hilarity. I have a photo somewhere taken in Bahrain in 61 with Cpl Nicholson on it I cannot recal his other name can you? He and his wife got me out of a spot of bother in 62 when we came back from the tour as I had stayed behind for some Heat Trials. Airborne Forces Day came while we were still doing them and I cannot recall anything until I woke up in their quarter having to be back at Cove (who can forget the 'vomit comet') for carrying out more trials that day they got me a taxi and I just made it!! Great couple I wonder how they are.

Kentish Lad Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Kentish Lad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:27 pm

The "Vomit Comet" a name from the past, if you remember it used to come right into the camp to unload outside the guardroom,so the drunks could be marched or carried straight into the cells!!!after they had been made to clean out the "Comet" first by the Provo Sgt and RPs, with a few good digs and kicks.
Mick am certainly planning to be there next year,but as yet i haven't heard a comfirmed date,does anyone on here know the dates??
Happy Days.
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 pm

I cant say that I ever knew Cpl Nicholsons first name, he was just "Old Nick" however his wife was called Barabara and at one time worked in the cpls mess when we were at Blenhein Bks.
The story goes. The time line between being in enclosed camps prior to the Op starting and the survivors of Arnhem being repatriated was only a very short time. Nick and Barbara were walking down the street arm in arm. Missus Woman engaged Nick with a mouthfull "You home on leave again and my Tommy has not been home since the Christmas before last"
Barbara decked Missus Woman!! Nick was only one of a very few from his unit to return. Sadly I also have no idea what ever happened to them.
Aussie Nick
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top