The Bahrain & Radfan Years

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Bahrain & Radfan Years

Post  Sparra Wilson on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:32 am

Aussie Nick wrote:
Toner?, Honeyman, Whitehead, Duncan, Caithness above Duncan, remainder ???
Nick. Smile

On your feet then -

L-R The LCpl was not with D Coy long as I recall and whose name was similar to yours Nick. Nichols(?) - Big mates with Mick Bond who is next. Sam Whitehead in front of Dunc Duncan and behind laying looks like Johnny Stiles. I'm sure the guy out to the right with the SMG is Butch Cooney 11 Plt Sgt.

Not absolutely certain but don't think this is a Radfan pic. I have a feeling this was taken when, following an exercise on the mainland, the Bn marched back to the airstrip. I remember at some stop being 'cajoled' into getting on to some bloody 'rags' camel - he then wandered off down through the lines. I kept asking the rag to stop but it turned out he was deaf as a post. Only came to a halt when a certain 'Farrar' asked "What the hell I was doing on that bloody camel!!"

I did have a pic of that but it's long gone.

Good memories- Sparra

Sparra Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparra Wilson on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:52 am

Aussie Nick wrote:

Jenkins?, Talbot?, Irving, ? ,North and Duncan with the GPMG.
Nick.

Eyes down then-

Dunc sent me this pic sometime ago and told me that the guy on the left was 'Willie' Wilson. He was attached to D Coy from RASC and was put with me at some point. Have no idea who that is next to him but then it is Nick Irvine ( I hear from him quite often) - then another face remembered but no name followed by good ol' Ron North. Paul 'Dunc' Duncan in front.

Ron was a re-enlister who came through with 252 He was one of those unlucky sods who witnessed the A bomb tests. I always think about him when that subject gets broached on the News. I see his name is on the Reunion site so if you are reading this Ron all the best mate I hope you are well.

Tug is always on to me about posting so I though it was about time I got off my backside - right then - I'm off to the shed
Regards to all D Coy'ers

Sparra.

Sparra Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbie Mylne on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Anyone remember this place (easy)

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:20 pm

Sparra Wilson wrote:
Aussie Nick wrote:
Toner?, Honeyman, Whitehead, Duncan, Caithness above Duncan, remainder ???
Nick. Smile

On your feet then -

L-R The LCpl was not with D Coy long as I recall and whose name was similar to yours Nick. Nichols(?) - Big mates with Mick Bond who is next. Sam Whitehead in front of Dunc Duncan and behind laying looks like Johnny Stiles. I'm sure the guy out to the right with the SMG is Butch Cooney 11 Plt Sgt.

Not absolutely certain but don't think this is a Radfan pic. I have a feeling this was taken when, following an exercise on the mainland, the Bn marched back to the airstrip. I remember at some stop being 'cajoled' into getting on to some bloody 'rags' camel - he then wandered off down through the lines. I kept asking the rag to stop but it turned out he was deaf as a post. Only came to a halt when a certain 'Farrar' asked "What the hell I was doing on that bloody camel!!"

I did have a pic of that but it's long gone.

Good memories- Sparra

Sparra, you may be right, was this the time when the "Toms" made a model of "Stonehenge" from rocks when we were waiting on a Bev to take us back to Bahrain, as well as a pony with a pace stick stuck in it? somebody lit a Hexy block on the altar stone and a bloody great camel spider came up the avenue and jumped into the flames, toasted itself, Bennie Registe said "No good will cum of dis mon"!
Nick
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Robbie,
Somehow the pool always seemed larger? good photos though.
Nick
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:02 pm

Robbie,
It is the pool in that oiltown in the desert called something like "Awarly"? There was also another place that had a fresh water pool that was fed by a natual spring that we used to use,i think it was called the "Virgins Pool"(or at least that's what we called it) it was about 30 feet deep and as clear as a bell,anyone else remember it?.
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparra Wilson on Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi Nick - Tug,

I vaguely remember the altar and Bennie would eh? Some would have it that he managed to stop one of the drops in Canada. Ginge Myers definitely had a dread that Bennie had such powers. The best memory I have of Bennie - RAF Muharraqh - Bennie comes in rolls back his shirt sleeve and says "Look I've got a tan".

What I do remember clearly is getting to the airstrip on the mainland at some other time. The officers disappeared in the building that served as Air Movements. There was allegedly a film crew in there too. When they finally emerged - well oiled - it was true and one of the actors came over - it was Jeremy Kemp clutching his bloody great unopened bottle - either a half or full magnum of champers. He singled me out - "Do you drink soldier? Pissed as a fart. Officers looking on. Sheepish reply "Yes sir it has been known" "Then have a drink on me" and pushed said bottle into my hands and walked off. I remember having a 'new found' friend in Jimmy Welsh that day- sitting up in the boom of the Bev all of us drinking it out of plastic cups. Does anyone else remember that?

Tug I think the pool is the one at Muharraqh. When Major Ellwood had us getting in shape for the Radfan it was 'run round the airfield perimeter in the morning and march in the afternoon' reversed the next day - we always finished at the pool. Awali was the oil town - that second visit the Bn was were 'personna non grata' for quite some time (I wonder why that was!!) but just after 'Sassy' Watchus took over as CSM the cinema opened up once again - Saturday mornings - on the three ton airborne charabanc for a couple of hours of air conditioned bliss!.

'Virgins Pool - I never visited but was told about something like it by Bob Collier. Was that the one with fish in it? On the second visit it was OOB because of ear infections so we were told but of course we had that cracking pool at Hamala.

- Sparra

Sparra Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:14 pm

"Adari" pool seems to ring a bell. but I never saw the "Virgins"!
Nick. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Adari was the proper name for the Virgins pool, there was a TV show at one time claiming that this pool and the area was the original garden of Eden, Yeah!!!

Last edited by Aussie Nick on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbie Mylne on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi All,
Tug - wrong, Surprised Sparra - right; RAF Muharraqh, Smile Nick - which pool, Question Don't think I ever visited the Awali pool, did have a splash in the virgins pool, somewhere in the middle of the main island as I remember.
The cinema at the oil town - Awali - was a nice outing though, the cinema at RAF Muharraqh was an outdoor affair -bring your own cushions Razz
Regards Robbie Cool
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbie Mylne on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:16 pm

[img][/img]

Anyone remember getting crammed into one of the RAF billets as above, on the first tour it was a welcome relief from the tents although it was a bit crowded, we ate in the RAF airmans mess a relief from the flies that ate half your meal in the tented mess on the airfield. I recall having breakfast there once when the duty RAF Officer asked some airmen on the next table if there were any compliants and if there were he would send them down to the Paras mess for the rest of the week.
lol! Regards Robbie Cool [img][/img]
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:24 pm

Robbie Mylne wrote:Hi All,
Tug - wrong, Surprised Sparra - right; RAF Muharraqh, Smile Nick - which pool, Question Don't think I ever visited the Awali pool, did have a splash in the virgins pool, somewhere in the middle of the main island as I remember.
The cinema at the oil town - Awali - was a nice outing though, the cinema at RAF Muharraqh was an outdoor affair -bring your own cushions Razz
Regards Robbie Cool

Nick - which pool? "ADARI" it was on the main island on the way to Awali just before the cemetary and the mounds and almost opposite the "Dhobi Wallahs" Laundry
Nick.
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kentish Lad on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:16 am

Hi All,

I remember on that first tour visiting that so called 'Virgins Pool', also how the RAF got the needle because they said we were using their pool to much. Also to aclimatise us they used to take us to Awali to the cinema where I remeber watching North to Alaska with John Wayne, thn coming out of the air conditioning and sweating my b***s off!

When C Coy were in the barracks up by the Malcolm Club, sleeping in those tree tier bunks waking up one Sunday morning to the smell and bleating of a goat that the Toms had stolen from the Dhobi wallers the smell was quite unbelieveable

Bill

Kentish Lad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:18 am

Bill, that wasn't the bloody goat!
Nick. lol!
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kentish Lad on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi Nick,

That barracks was too close to the Malcolm Club because Alan Coates and I decided to celebrate our birthdays one week day, the result well oiled and Alan having to report sick and Mac killing himself laughing, telling him he had alcoholic posioning

by the way it was the goat and not me

Bill

Kentish Lad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Bahrain & Radfan years

Post  Wrockwardine Wanderer on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:59 am

Some of the "New Draft" in Aldershot on the night before Bahrain (2nd Tour) 1964. Bob Drewery (Pot Officer) Bob Mickleburgh, "Speedy" Baines, Jim Austen, Dougie Taffs, Smudge Smith.
Wrockwardine Wanderer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Bahrain & Radfan years

Post  Wrockwardine Wanderer on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:19 am

Some members of the "New Draft" to 'B' Company in Bahrain 1964 - Built for Speed. Left to Right:-

Pat Peters, ? Howkins, Jim Austen, Smudge Smith, "Marra" Townsend, Pete Kaja. The "New Draft" were known as this for six months until they were finally accepted as "OK" by the Company. First time abroad for many young soldiers - what a delightful place it was in those days (and of course worse on the 1st tour - no twynams!!!!)
Wrockwardine Wanderer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:02 am

Jim, it wasn't just your intake that was known as the "New Draft" ever since "Bellerephon" buggered it up by flying "Pegasus" to Olympus, getting cast down and getting poor Pegasus turned into a bloody cart horse, every intake to any of the Battalions has been treated in this manner. Snotty nosed Lance Jack " I dont care what they taught you at the depot, this is the Battalion and this is how you will do it!" Bugger me, time has passed and one has been promoted to a Snotty nosed Lance Jack, stating " I dont care what they taught you at the depot, this is the Battalion and this is how you will do it!" Oh happy days.
Nick. lol!
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bahrain & Radfan years

Post  Wrockwardine Wanderer on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:43 am

Thanks for that info Nick, its funny though that I never heard that term used the rest of the time I served. I can remember the company detail after six months stating that "The New Draft will no longer be called the new draft". We had made it and could now mingle with the real men!!
My supply of 'B' Coy photos for those days is running out but here is one more of our OC at the time, I cannot remember the other officer's name. It's just come to me - Conway, who received the nickname "TWITTY" - for two reasons!!
Wrockwardine Wanderer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbie Mylne on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:48 pm

Tug Wilson wrote:Here is a picture of the Battalion marching out of the camp on the first tour(When we still had a "Proper" Band)Provost Sgt "Zoom" Spencers establishment on the left.Our transport (Bevs) in the background.

A couple of pics of the parade taken by me from a distance.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Being one of the small persons in the battalion I was invariably stood down from the parades although I went through all the rehersals and bullshit.
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:52 pm

Come on Robbie, good things come in small packages, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Good pickies mate, keep em coming. I've been in touch with Mick Keoghan.
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbie Mylne on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Aussie Nick wrote:Come on Robbie, good things come in small packages, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Good pickies mate, keep em coming. I've been in touch with Mick Keoghan.

Thanks Nick I did do a little boxing on the second tour when I was mortar plt and then back in the shot - trouble was everyone of my weight was taller than me with a longer reach. bounce pirat
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:50 pm

I can relate to that Robbie, during the milling I had Ginge Owen, who had a fifteen foot reach, but I just whacked him on the fist with my nose!
Nick Very Happy
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbie Mylne on Mon May 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Some more pics from 61,62

Me, Tommy Muncaster and Joe Gray (home for 22 months!)

Joe, Tommy and Arthur Hughes at the canteen

Me, Arthur and Jimmy Aicheson (?spelling scratch ) in town
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

the chap nearest is trev baggott drums platoon, doug rodgers

Post  Doug Rodgers on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Tug Wilson wrote:Parade for the new Sheik at the Naval HQ,Sheik Isa, he had just taken over from his deceased Father.But i can't remember the officer commanding the parade,it's not Farrar,why?

Doug Rodgers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

could this be 1961 with roly gibbs the co.doug rodgers

Post  Doug Rodgers on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:12 pm

could this be 1961 with roly gibbs as co.doug rodgers

Doug Rodgers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content