The Bahrain & Radfan Years

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Bahrain & Radfan Years

Post  Jim Scott on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:38 am

Tug Wilson wrote:
Jim Scott wrote:Tug, You must have moved to 1Pln A coy,during the second tour of Bahrain,I was Cpl in 2 Pln,but stayed behind,with the Bisley shooting team,in charge Major Churchill,along with Johnny Balls,(mortars I think)Danny Hadden ,Brummy Edwards,Bob Welsh, all that i can remember at the moment,when the Radfan kicked off,Johnny Balls was the only one whipped away,to join the Battalion,

I got demobbed from the depot a couple of months later,where Fergie,x CSM C Coy,was RSM,he had me in his office every day trying to get me to sign on for another tour,I declined the offer.
Jim.

Correct Jim,i joined A Coy from C Coy just before the 2nd tour,2 Pln, wasn't that "Hew Pikes" Pln? we had Mike Walsh as OC,he later went on to command 1 Para in Aden and made General in the end,Johnny Balls was an MFC in the Mortars and was attached to A Coy during the operation,he later went to the AAC as a pilot,Danny Hadden(RIP) now there was a feared hard man in the Battalion,i later had his son in A Coy and Brummy Edwards as a Sgt when i was CSM from '75 to '78.CSM Furguson he of the "Tug of War"fame,CSM Charlie Altass took over C Coy from him when Fergie went to Depot as RSM.All good men,where are they now?.

Yes ,Huw Pike was pln commander ,straight in from Sandhurst,Johnny Balls,Charlie Shae Simmons and myself,used to go up to Blackbush ,sky diving,From an Auster,I didn't know Danny was dead,still this is a long time ago,and there will be a lot more of the guys, looking down on us from above.

Did you ever hear anything of Fergie,Tug,as I said earlier,when I gt demobbed from Depot in 64,he had me in every day wanting me to sign on,"3rd stripe straight away Cpl Scott",he wanted me to be involved with Junior Para,running the tug o war team,as you said great guys,you will never meet buddies in Civvie street,like you had in the Para's
Jim.

Jim Scott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:42 pm

Jim In Nicks picture front rank to the right of Churchill is Turner,Laws,and Sgt Danny Hadden as he was then.As for fergie i don't know what he did when he retired as RSM of the depot.Remember he was one of the many we still had in the Battalion at that time who had been in during the war,CSM Charlie Altass for instance had been captured and escaped and went East to join up with the Russians, and carried on the fight with them till the end of the war,just one of the many untold stories of the wartime Airborne men.
Here is another picture of our Transport whilst in Bahrain.

Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:46 pm

Hunters over the Radfan,bring any memories?Only problem was when they fired their cannon, the empty cases came straight out the bottom and could cause some damage to us!!!! the rockets were fun to watch though.

Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Scott on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:01 pm

Tug ,the ex wartime guys I remember,Jock Rennie,RSM at Corruna Bks, Alfie Crompton,Provo Sgt,and Dickie Davis,CQMS A Coy.
Jim.

Jim Scott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

shooting team photo

Post  mick bramley on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Ref the photo of shooting team 1st guy is Jimmy Scott and one of them sitting is Mick Laws [is the Jim Scott in the photo the same Jim Scott talking about jnr para and tug war team???????

mick bramley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Jim Scott wrote:Tug ,the ex wartime guys I remember,Jock Rennie,RSM at Corruna Bks, Alfie Crompton,Provo Sgt,and Dickie Davis,CQMS A Coy.
Jim.

Tug and Jim,
I know Charlie Altas and Jock Rennie were war time vets however, I may be wrong but I think that Jim Ferguson, Alfie Crompton etc were Post War or very early fifties. I remember I was Coy Ord Sgt in "C" Coy in Guillemont Bks Cove when Jim Ferguson asked me to pin on his inch of glory for some parade or other ( GSM Bar Malaya ) Jim had been in the Para Coy Malay Scouts. and I think that Alfie started of in Palestine. The "D" Coy guys will remember Alfie as our CQMS and on the way through to Borneo the period in Nee Soon Transit camp when Alfie was caught fast asleep and the lads shaved half of his hair off, the "Boss" made him shave off the rest.
Sorry to have raised the Shooting team photo on this subject site which is really for the Bahrain and Radfan years. I will now open a new subject called 3 Para Shooting teams in the sixties.
Nick. Smile Smile Smile
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Scott on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:17 am

Hi men,
Correction on my earlier post,Dickie Meadows,was CQMS A Coy, "Trickie Dickie",not Davies,and he was at the Battle of the Bulge

Jim Scott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:08 am

Most of you will remember the famous perennial Cpl Joe Grout i/c the thunder boxes and shit wagon,who, when asked by a passing yank on the airfield in Bahrain "Hey Joe which way to the Jafer(spelling) Club" joe relied, "How did you know my name was Joe?"the yank says "I guessed" Joe then says "Guess your f*cking way to the Naffi then" and walked on.
You will be pleased to know he was still going strong,and seen at the Pompey Para's weekend last year,i believe he was Airborne during the latter part of the war,just another of the many 3 Para characters of the past.

Photo's of 1 Pln A coy playing Coy HQ at volleyball 2nd tour.We were all young and slim then,i even managed to get myself in the pictures twice,OC Mike Walsh,and CQMS Arthur Watchas(ex SAS) is there,recognise anyone else?

Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Scott on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:53 am

mick bramley wrote:Ref the photo of shooting team 1st guy is Jimmy Scott and one of them sitting is Mick Laws [is the Jim Scott in the photo the same Jim Scott talking about jnr para and tug war team???????

No ,a different one Mick.

Jim Scott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Jim Scott

Post  mick bramley on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:12 pm

Thank Jim,
Grey matter geting thin ty , take care Mick B.

mick bramley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Vollyball Photo

Post  mick bramley on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:17 pm

The Guy in the skimpy underpants is Taff Bryant was my platoon Cpl one of the orthers looks like Tug Willson , the guy on the HQ TEAM was anorther Welsh man forgot his name Taff lol

mick bramley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:46 am

Correct Mick,Taff Bryant and yes me (wish i was as slim now!!),the other Taff on the Coy HQ team i have also forgotten his name but he was the Coy Storeman working with C/Sgt Watchus.For the life of me i can't remember who our Pln Commander was do you? all i can recall is that he was an ex 2 Para ranker and on the short side.
Our CSM at the time was "Di" Williams who was later RSM 3 Para in Malta.
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Scott on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Tug,
Di Williams was CSM A Coy, I'm not sure, if it was before and during the first tour,or the second tour,the grey matter is thinning down,other CSM's in A Coy ,were "Shirley ?",a big guy,in the early Sixties,during the NATO exercise,when they dropped us across the Kiel canal in Germany,the other one during that period was the infamous "China Mallone"

Jim Scott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kentish Lad on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Jim,

You are thinking of "Shelly" Winters I believe. Great Guy who was a Plt Sgt in C Coy 59-60. When I was working near Aldershot in about 1971 I visited Browning Barracks. One of the screws was Topper Brown who was in the Drums in 3 Para, he said to me wait here I know someone who would like to see you and then took me up to see Shelly who was the RSM. First time I ever sat in RSM's Office drinking tea!!! Topper was well known for losing his teeth which caused a problem when he Duty Bugeler as he often could not play and we had to say that he had chapped lips!!! Best story about China Malone when he was CSM of D Coy returning from Singapore and he had been his usual "Nice" self. He asked me and Alan Coates to take some ciggys for him as he was over the top we both refused as we had our allotment, but Alan said I will have him at Lyneham. Sure enough Alan got stopped by Customs, he was okay but he told the Customs Officer to check "The Grey haired bloke in the queue". China never knew Alan had bubbled him and had to pay up! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The photo of Taffy Jones-Evans chute has me on the left and Peter Vozjola on the right.

Bill

Kentish Lad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:25 pm

Jim,
Di Williams was for certain CSM A Coy during the second tour,I was in SP Coy A/Tks on the first tour and we had Arthur Channon as CSM and Bill Boyce as C/Sgt then.
Here is a picture of the Guard "Taking post" to "Zoom" Spencers guard tent on the first tour.

Bill where is the picture??
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:43 pm

Kentish Lad wrote:Hi Jim,

You are thinking of "Shelly" Winters I believe. Great Guy who was a Plt Sgt in C Coy 59-60. When I was working near Aldershot in about 1971 I visited Browning Barracks. One of the screws was Topper Brown who was in the Drums in 3 Para, he said to me wait here I know someone who would like to see you and then took me up to see Shelly who was the RSM. First time I ever sat in RSM's Office drinking tea!!! Topper was well known for losing his teeth which caused a problem when he Duty Bugeler as he often could not play and we had to say that he had chapped lips!!! Best story about China Malone when he was CSM of D Coy returning from Singapore and he had been his usual "Nice" self. He asked me and Alan Coates to take some ciggys for him as he was over the top we both refused as we had our allotment, but Alan said I will have him at Lyneham. Sure enough Alan got stopped by Customs, he was okay but he told the Customs Officer to check "The Grey haired bloke in the queue". China never knew Alan had bubbled him and had to pay up! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The photo of Taffy Jones-Evans chute has me on the left and Peter Vozjola on the right.

Bill
Bill,
I thought you were going to tell us about the time when one "ingenious" Tom went into "China's" office overnight and did a Dump on his desk,put a beer mat on top of it and left written instructions on how to play "Freckles" for him to find in the morning.He never did find out who did it. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Never mind the dump on China's desk! Who was it in "C" Coy in Corunna Bks stripped a motor cycle and sidecar and rebuilt it on Malcolm Carrs desk, much to the chagrin of Jim Ferguson.

Tug the photo Bill was referring to is on page 2, I added the names this morning.
Nick Smile
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

working on the chain gang

Post  Robbie Mylne on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:40 pm

Hi all I have enjoyed looking at the photos on the forum and am making an attempt to add some of my own hope i get it right :shock:the 4 pics are of the Hamala Camp building site most of the blokes in the pics are RAF Constrution Sq. In Pic 2 Mick Poole B coy is on the right 2nd from left is also 3 para name escapes me. in pic 3 Don Bales B coy on left and the other name also escapes me. [img][/img]. . .
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:08 am

Thanks Robbie,
It's good to see some new people posting,if you have anymore of those times please put them on as i for one am running out,but there must be many others who have the odd picture that would bring back memories of those far off days when we where all young(and slim) Mind you don't know when we had the time for photo's.Do any of you out there remember "Pinky" the RE S/Sgt in charge of the building work? God how we wound him up poor bloke. Laughing Laughing
The picture was taken with me holding the shield(I had just become the Bahrain go kart champion,my only claim to fame)Ginge Thompson the co-owner of the cart with me just about to go out for another race,the course was marked out(with empty beer cans from the naafi tent.) in the sand behind the shower block which was in one of Nicks Photo's posted earlier.

Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kentish Lad on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:45 am

Hi Tug,

Did you compete against "Snose" Morris in that race? Guess why he was called that!! Seeing those pictures of the camp being built do you remember the Tom (I think it was Mick Feeney) who used to walk round with a plank of wood all day, nobody checked him Laughing Laughing Laughing Also that RE Staff Sgt had the pleasure of running into D Coy when we went on out to Singapore in 63. Piss takes all round as he got the BEM for building the Camp!!!

Bill

Kentish Lad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:49 am

Kentish Lad wrote:Hi Tug,

Did you compete against "Snose" Morris in that race? Guess why he was called that!! Seeing those pictures of the camp being built do you remember the Tom (I think it was Mick Feeney) who used to walk round with a plank of wood all day, nobody checked him Laughing Laughing Laughing Also that RE Staff Sgt had the pleasure of running into D Coy when we went on out to Singapore in 63. Piss takes all round as he got the BEM for building the Camp!!!

Bill

No bill i didn't know about Mick Feeney and the "Plank" but i wouldn't put it past him to do something like that Laughing Laughing I like it.As far as who i raced in the final of the Go Cart racing i really can't remember.
I do remember "Pinkey" getting the BEM for his work? on building the camp,not that he actually did much work that i can remember he just walked around turning a brighter Pink each day.
Not having a trade (being Merchant Navey prior to joining) i was on the concrete mixing,and when we started he said that once we had finished 2 bays we could knock off,so a couple of hours later we had finished and got a lift back to the airfield,he was livid.The following day he said 3 bays,a couple of hours later 3 bays done we left again,this went on and each day he upped the number of bays he wanted till we told him in a very polite way where to stick his concrete and left him stamping his feet and threatening us with a visit to "Zooms" nick,which never happened co's he then realised he would have no concrete mixers!!! He left us alone after that and went off to hassle others around the site.
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Scott on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Kentish Lad wrote:Hi Jim,

Bill

Bill,
Thats the name Shelley Winters,one of the best I ever served under,a great guy,Not lake "Mr A Hole",China Malone,I remember on one parade,we were standin at ease,and a couple of the lads were talking quietly among themselves,of course China heard them,and as usual,went ballistic,then a voicefrom the rear of the parade shouted,"China,if you didn't have teeth in your mouth,it would make a fine arsehole",he must have turned 20 different shades of purple,and never found out who it was. I think I remember a number of years later,while QM at Abingdon,he was court martialled,for breaking into the RAF stores,apparently he was diffi of a number of matresses,and tried to steal some from the RAF,I seem to remember that was in the newspapers

Bill the name Topper Brown,Rings a bell but i can't put a face,to it.
Stay safe,
Jim

Jim Scott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Kentish Lad(Bill) sent me these to put on the site, as he was having problems uploading,i will let him put some names to the faces and explain each picture on his next post,great pictures Bill if you any more send them through.

Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbie Mylne on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:47 pm

More Bahrain pics[img][/img] Sgts Mess [img][/img] The Bar (name escapes me) [img][/img] A stint as a sgts mess steward(can't recall chaps name on right (me on left of course!)
Robbie
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:40 am

Tug Wilson wrote:Kentish Lad(Bill) sent me these to put on the site, as he was having problems uploading,i will let him put some names to the faces and explain each picture on his next post,great pictures Bill if you any more send them through.

Bill this piccie must have been 1961 as we were in Bahrein until may 62 and then straight to Blenheim Barracks, Cove 60 - 61
Names L-R 1, 2, Brian Keeling (RIP) Terry Williams, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Wally Stuart, Bill Fagg.

Only remember Jones-Evans and Chay Blythe on the raft.

Spen Causer, Jack Gill, Chick Gough, Farra and Jack Hobbs.
Nick.
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top