Greece 1963

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greece 1963

Post  Robbie Mylne on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:42 pm

The camp Greece 1963

And then it rained

and rained!

and rained some more!!

trying to stop it getting in the tents!!!!!

The cafe on the beach

Taff Weeks on left, Robbie Mylne,?, Butch Bruton

Finished!!

R&R

Jimmiy Innis centre

Don Bales Standing at back, Benny Benson left of man with pipe
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Greece 1963

Post  Tug Wilson on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:33 am

Great pictures Robbie,
I have some that i shall dig out and dust the cobwebs off,i seem to remember being told at the time that was the biggest AB drop since "Operation Varsity" in WW2!!!!! Being a rigger I know i spent most of my time rigging the heavy drop.
But an interesting note in passing,in all my service Greece was the only place that the Brothels were in bounds,The Brigade medical officer had apparently checked them out Rolling Eyes and part one orders stated, other ranks up until 2400hrs officers from 0001hrs onwards so they had to bat on a sticky wicket. Laughing Laughing Laughing On a more serious note didn't we lose a lad who died from having too much drink? i think we did.
Another memory of Greece was we had corned beef for nearly every bloody meal,put me off it for years after that.
Tug Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Greece 1963

Post  Kentish Lad on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:09 am

Hi Tug,

Memories come flooding back, yes we had one who drank to much think he was in B Coy. That was in the short period they allowed us free time!! Four of us including "Herman The German" Hired a car (at least that is what the Greeks called it!!) went up to Salonika for three days slept in fields or where ever. We had sleeping bags but no tents and ten man ration packs, run out of money and used cigarettes for the fuel!! on the way back got caught up in a Greek Wedding, nobody could speak English the only wat we could communicate was via the Bridegroom who was a guest worker in Germany and of course Herman!! We had damaged the car, hit a road side post, so when we took it back parked well away from the office. We then spent the rest of the time avoiding the guy who was chasing us around the town, fortunately they then closed the camp so nobody was allowed in this was in preparation for the exercise. We saw him turn up more that once at the gate in the car to be turned away. Another thing do you remember the tortises that were painted with various TAC Signs!! Happy days.

Kentish Lad

Kentish Lad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dinger bell on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Greece photos bring back memories, the man with the pipe is that not Robbo Robinson?
I remember on our trip to Athens the Padre was getting excited and waving his travel guide about,as Athens came into view with all the old temples etc. somebody shouted out what a heap of rubble!! Very Happy Very Happy
Wrong thing to say.
Did not somebody drop through a shepherds hut roof on the DZ.

dinger bell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Scott on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Kentish Lad wrote:Hi Tug,

Memories come flooding back, yes we had one who drank to much think he was in B Coy. That was in the short period they allowed us free time!! Four of us including "Herman The German" Hired a car (at least that is what the Greeks called it!!) went up to Salonika for three days slept in fields or where ever. We had sleeping bags but no tents and ten man ration packs, run out of money and used cigarettes for the fuel!! on the way back got caught up in a Greek Wedding, nobody could speak English the only wat we could communicate was via the Bridegroom who was a guest worker in Germany and of course Herman!! We had damaged the car, hit a road side post, so when we took it back parked well away from the office. We then spent the rest of the time avoiding the guy who was chasing us around the town, fortunately they then closed the camp so nobody was allowed in this was in preparation for the exercise. We saw him turn up more that once at the gate in the car to be turned away. Another thing do you remember the tortises that were painted with various TAC Signs!! Happy days.

Kentish Lad

Bill,The guy who died in Greece from to much drink,was "Birkie" Birkenshaw of A Coy,I with several others went on an expedition,to climb Mount Olympus,during that long weekend,and he was buried, by the time we got back.

Jim.

Jim Scott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Greece 1963

Post  Robbie Mylne on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:13 pm

dinger bell wrote:Greece photos bring back memories, the man with the pipe is that not Robbo Robinson?
I remember on our trip to Athens the Padre was getting excited and waving his travel guide about,as Athens came into view with all the old temples etc. somebody shouted out what a heap of rubble!! Very Happy Very Happy
Wrong thing to say.
Did not somebody drop through a shepherds hut roof on the DZ.

Thanks for the memory jog Dinger, that is indeed Robbo, always had his pipe in his mouth even when tabbing.
Here are some pics of 'the pile of rubble'

Don Bales B Coy

? B Coy

Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Greece 1963

Post  Robbie Mylne on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 pm

There was an incident when a couple of Greek officers visited the camp and were carrying side arm's which they were required to hand in at the armoury and the armourer tried to play cowboy quick draws but and a very big but the weapons had not been cleared Embarassed as the officers carried loaded side arm's: and he shot himself in the groin just missed the wedding tackle Shocked the wound wasn't too serious but a silly mistake not to have checked the weapons. clown I think the mans name was Wilkinson
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Greece 1963

Post  Robbie Mylne on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:02 pm

This mans name is Jack Jack he came to B Coy while we were in Greece and then disapeared when we returned to UK he was a bit mysterious maybe he was a spook plant checking something out Question cyclops

Look at the old container bottom right, weighed about as much as the kit we put in them!!

Another sad incident - a small child was fatally hit by a 3 tonner driven by one of our MT drivers, I think the outcome of the inquiry was acciddental death no blame imposed on the driver.

Amazing how the memories keep popping up with a bit of a jog reading the other posts, keep em coming!
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparra Wilson on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 am

Robbie Mylne wrote:There was an incident when a couple of Greek officers visited the camp and were carrying side arm's which they were required to hand in at the armoury and the armourer tried to play cowboy quick draws but and a very big but the weapons had not been cleared Embarassed as the officers carried loaded side arm's: and he shot himself in the groin just missed the wedding tackle Shocked the wound wasn't too serious but a silly mistake not to have checked the weapons. clown I think the mans name was Wilkinson

Hi Robbie, Hate to be pedantic but should this not be Greece '62? I was in depot in 62 and definitely didn't go to Greece in 63 but did hear all about it as you can imagine. All you 'old toms' swinging the light to us sprogs!
I remember Wilkie Wilkinson he was my first section commander before Bill Fagg. I remember hearing the 'cowboy' story right enough but I think he actually shot Tom McLean (King of Rockall) the bullet passing through the hole in his, his , agh name escapes me - the big bone that yer legs connect with without hitting anything other than flesh. I'm sure I remember Tom relating this in Borneo and showing off the exit wound to prove it!

Wilkie was quite a character and the boy for weapons, he brought a 303 back from Canada and rumour had it he fired out of his married quarter window! Well as you would!
He 'disappeared' after his 'do' at the filling station beween the two cinemas in town if I remember right.

Keep those pics coming
Regards to you - Sparra

Sparra Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:22 am

Sparra Wilson wrote:
Robbie Mylne wrote:There was an incident when a couple of Greek officers visited the camp and were carrying side arm's which they were required to hand in at the armoury and the armourer tried to play cowboy quick draws but and a very big but the weapons had not been cleared Embarassed as the officers carried loaded side arm's: and he shot himself in the groin just missed the wedding tackle Shocked the wound wasn't too serious but a silly mistake not to have checked the weapons. clown I think the mans name was Wilkinson

Hi Robbie, Hate to be pedantic but should this not be Greece '62? I was in depot in 62 and definitely didn't go to Greece in 63 but did hear all about it as you can imagine. All you 'old toms' swinging the light to us sprogs!
I remember Wilkie Wilkinson he was my first section commander before Bill Fagg. I remember hearing the 'cowboy' story right enough but I think he actually shot Tom McLean (King of Rockall) the bullet passing through the hole in his, his , agh name escapes me - the big bone that yer legs connect with without hitting anything other than flesh. I'm sure I remember Tom relating this in Borneo and showing off the exit wound to prove it!

Wilkie was quite a character and the boy for weapons, he brought a 303 back from Canada and rumour had it he fired out of his married quarter window! Well as you would!
He 'disappeared' after his 'do' at the filling station beween the two cinemas in town if I remember right.

Keep those pics coming
Regards to you - Sparra

G'day all, I seem to remember that the pistol in question was a Colt 1911 .45 Cal. Tom McLean and the other were heard to argue in hospital as to who got to keep the bullet as it passed through one and remained in the other. Tom McLean in later years was to surpass the feat of Ridgeway and Blythe by rowing the Atlantic on his pat malone, I also seem to remember that Joe Grout nearly "Blew up" a few guys when he used petrol to burn out the Deep trench latrine, I was still "C" Coy at this time and our Pl Sgt was Harry Thomas who nearly broke his back on that long tab down the mountainside on the final Ex. Does anybody know where he is now?
Nick. Laughing
Aussie Nick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wrong Year! it was 1962

Post  Robbie Mylne on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Wow Spara your memory is better than most - cos no one else picked my mistake - on the back of one of the photos is 1963 hence the name of the post. After reading your latest disputing the year I found this on the internet ........
Sep 27, 1962 - In one village 20 houses and the church were said to have col-' lapsed. ; There were no immediate reports of casualties. j Widespread areas of Greece reported floods. I Floods hit Volos where British; paratroopers have been camping j during NATO training maneuvers. ...
So you are definatly correct My appologies to all for the wrong info. Robbie
Robbie Mylne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sparra Wilson on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:54 am

Hi Nick

"I also seem to remember that Joe Grout nearly "Blew up" a few guys when he used petrol to burn out the Deep trench latrine,"

This also happened to me Nick in some tented battle camp on the mainland we used while in Bahrein. (Not sure which but not the one by the sea though)

Anyone remember Mac McAllister? We were on cookhouse fatigues - took the scraps for burning in the trench then got the petrol - nearly empty jerry can so took a full one too. I went back to get some matches then back to the trench Mac and I standing side by side close to the edge - struck the match and F-------HeLLL. We were both blown back by the force no eyebrows left and the distinct smell of singed hair - a big fireball and black smoke rising up rising up with everyone running over - Mac in his wisdom had poured all five gallons into the trench. As you would!! Happy days.

Apparently Joe was at the El Gamil reunion last Friday

Regards - Sparra

Sparra Wilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:Greece 1962

Post  dinger bell on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi Jim
I seem to remember that the lads stopped for a kip on the way back to camp ( by the roadside) and in the morning found that he had choked to death.
can`t remember who else was with him.
Was it 2 platoon that during that long night march moved off and left M/Sgt Turbeville from 82nd asleep at the edge of the pathway Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dinger

dinger bell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Greece 1963 no 62!!

Post  Kentish Lad on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi Sparra,

Yes Sparra it was Tom. About 10 years ago was up in Scotland near Fort William and meet Tom. He had his "Whale Boat" moored in the port and welcomed me aboard. Then proceeded to embarass me by telling his wife that I had knocked him into shape when we were in C Coy We had great fun with the parachuting out of Larrisa when we were already to go up in an Argosy and the PJI asked if we had done the training for it. Looks of consternation when told no and this was the first time we had seen one!! Never mind he says just do the Beverly exit but do not touch the door

Kentish Lad

Kentish Lad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re Greece shooting

Post  dougwilk on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:55 am

Hi
Just joined the forum and read your message.
The guy who shot himself was from the Sigs Pltn and was called Honky Lynn, not wilkinson.
If your thinking of the Wilkinson in the Sigs Pltn, he was firing different things on his honeymoon.

Cheers
Doug Wilkinson
dougwilk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

RE Shooting in Greece

Post  Dave Barrowcliffe on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 am

It was Mac McLean form "C" Coy who got shot by Honky Lynn from Signals Platoon. He was "playing" with a US 45 colt automatic which was the side arm carried by Greek officers. The Greeks had to leave them in the Armoury tent. After the event the REME armourer (can't remember his name) checked the weapon and ammo after the event and it was found that the US ammunition was old ammunition and was not full a full charge. Fortunately for Mac McLean it was a soft tissue wound and the projectile went straight through his body.

Dave Barrowcliffe

Dave Barrowcliffe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Greece in 1962

Post  Dave Barrowcliffe on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:08 am

Sorry Guys I have to make a couple of corrections of some previous posts.

I was the MO's driver in Greece. The MO was a Capt. McLean who was quite well heeled and he lived in Chelsea and he also performed surgery at Queen Alexandra's Hospital Millbank.

The guy who died on the beach choked to death in his own vomit. He had been drinking so some of his mates laid him down face up with his head in his small pack on the beach to sleep it off. He was buried in the Pharleron War Cemetery just outside of Athens.

The night the Greek boy was killed by being run over I was 2 i/c of the guard. As I was the MO's driver I kept the Landrover keys and had access to the vehicle 24hours a day just in case there was an emergency. The person who drove the vehicle was not from 3 PARA. If my memory serves me correct he was from Brigade HQ.

I took the MO's Land Rover and got a couple of 23 PFA medics who were on duty and we dove the road to the beach after a search we found a young boy very badly injured but still breathing after being knock off the road into a field. Medical aid was administered at the scene and he was placed on a stretcher and drove back to the brigade Medical aid post. As we were bringing back the injured boy other medical staff had been alerted. Unfortunately the young boy died as he was receiving medical care.

The person who had stolen the truck and killed the boy was put under close arrest in the Guard Tent. He was in a tent directly behind the guard tent on the left hand side.IF you can remember the the lay out of the camp, as you drove up to it on the left hand side was the MT parking area and work area. At the side was the Main entrance and the guard tent. The cook house was to the right hand side of the entrance and behind them were 3 PARA's lines.

If you can remember there was a beach south east of the headland where we were camped about 3 miles drive away. It was a place frequented by all of the troops who were on that exercise including members of the RAF. The person stole a Bedford truck being used by the RAF and was parked down by the beach. He crossed the fuses and got the truck started. He came into the Guard Tent at the entrance to the camp and said that he thought that he had hit someone down the road. He had been drinking.

The person who killed the Greek Boy was dealt with by the Greek Civil Courts.

There are more tales about Greece.

Dave Barrowcliffe

Dave Barrowcliffe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

greece 63

Post  Doug Rodgers on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:06 pm

just to diedconfirm that the lad who died onthe beach was Bircumshaw.he had recently transfered to the Drums plt.he was on the beach with Taff Fowler and Sandy Bennett,who discovered his body.The Band and drums didn,t go to Greece,as they were at the Edinburgh Tattoo.He wasn,t kitted out for the Tattoo,so he rejoined A coy for the duration of the exercise,A sad story.

Doug Rodgers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Greece 1962

Post  zola on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:38 am

G'day all, just joined the forum and read your messages about our drop on Larissa Plains in 1962. This was not the largest drop as the one we did in Cyprus was.  I remember that the RAF Transport Command scrounged aircraft from all over the world to make the drop of the Brigade.  My wife at that time worked for Pathe News and they had cameramen on the ground (watch the film “The Longest Day” and see yourself in the sky! ).  I think that Nick is right about the shooting, as I remember there were two soldiers hurt in the one incident.  The Argosy jump was a fiasco as most of the starboard stick ended up with the port stick.  Bob Swain and I also took off for Athens but could not get a lift in our civies, we changed into uniform and hitchhiked to Salonika for a few days.  Never saw Gerry Wright (Herman the German) otherwise we would have joined forces.  I came back to Auckland a few years ago and on my daily run (yes, somethings never changes!) I met a Greek bloke living in my street who was doing his National Service in the Greek Army and was on the Larissa Pains waiting for us to jump.  Small world!  
Cheers  Pete Vojzola

zola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top