3parareunion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aussie Nick.......a favour?

4 posters

Go down

Aussie Nick.......a favour? Empty Aussie Nick.......a favour?

Post  jmc Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:11 pm

To Aussie Nick.

I'm John McCormack, SP Coy (MMG then Recce Pl) Jan 62 till 66 when I got posted to HQ Coy, Bde HQ to the then new Vigilant Pl.
Blokes from all 3 Battalions were sent there and one of them, Ken Mulley (From around Barnard Castle I believe) came from 1 or 2 Para. On demob he enlisted (whilst still in the UK) in the Australian Army, Transport I think, he departed UK either late 68 or very early 69.
A few years later I heard that Chris Aslett had been saying Ken had been killed in Vietnam. I wrote to Aussie Army Records and they advised that he had completed his engagement and been demobbed in Australia.
The point of this is to ask if you are in touch with any UK Airborne Associations out there and if so, would you be kind enough to enquire if Ken is a member? He was a bloody good field soldier and mate and I'd like to get in touch again if possible.

(Whilst on, can I follow the trend of other posts and throw in some more old names from these days? Red Robinson, Arnie Ellis, Pat McCrae, Mick Stanger, Bob Munro, "Big Al" Winfield, Jonny Holborn, Sgt "Ben" Casey, wee Pete Marshall (who was tragically swept from a costal cliff face when climbing with the Bn Climbing Club), Bob Joyce, John (Geordie) Dawson. Somewhere I have a Platoon Photo taken at Hamala Camp on the second tour. If I can get it scanned I'll try to post it..............). Meantime, thanks

jmc

Back to top Go down

Aussie Nick.......a favour? Empty Swept off the rocks

Post  bill Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:31 am

I m sure that was Jim Scott(Cpl) A coy who was swept off the rocks in Cornwall.

bill

Back to top Go down

Aussie Nick.......a favour? Empty Swept off the rocks

Post  jmc Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:58 am

Hi Bill,

Hope to God I didn't miss another fatality: Pete Marshall, along with Al Foulks (both MMG Pl whilst we were in Blenheim Bks, between the two tours of Bahrain) went on a weekend climb and Pete was lost. The Pl commander, Lt Liddle, was almost in tears as he told us on the Monday morning.
I don't know if Bob Munro is still around but he and Pete were close muckers - to the extent that I seem to recall that Bob spent a weekend with Pete at Pete's parents.

I don't recall Cpl Scott being similarly lost but, as others have often said, the old grey cells increasingly let you down!

Having mentioned him, it might be worth remembering that it was him (Lt Rodney Liddle) who was originally due to do the Atlantic crossing with Capt Ridgeway.....rumour had it that Rodney's fiancee, instead of whispering sweet nothings in his ear, whispered "absolutely no way"; so Chay was roped in instead. Another malicious rumour at the time was, apropo Ridgeway's ferocious appetite, Chay - being slightly generously proportioned at the time - was enrolled partly as emergency rations!!!

jmc

Back to top Go down

Aussie Nick.......a favour? Empty Swept off the rocks.

Post  bill Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:14 pm

Thanks for your reply...didnt know about the chap you mentioned..apologies. I used to climb with the Bn climbing club in Cornwall..Harrisons Rocks..and then when we had the 5 day stand down in Greece...at the time of the Quick Draw episode when they shot themselves ..Pogey Lynn was one bloke...the climbing club went off to Mt. Olympus. This was the time when the subsequent Lt. Col Spacies brother..an officer in3 Para ran the climbing club. Jim Scott jumped from one rock to another at the bottom of the cliffs at the same time as an enormous wave picked him and Jim was never seen again as far as I m aware. Best wishes..bill

bill

Back to top Go down

Aussie Nick.......a favour? Empty Re: Aussie Nick.......a favour?

Post  Jim Scott Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi Bill and JMC,
It was Pete,who was washed off,I am the Jim Scott, you are talking about,We were going along the rocks at Sennan Cove,Cornwall, to get to the bottom of a climb,where we had to cross a gully,there were four of us Pete,Heppy Hepenstal from MT,another? and myself,I led across,. the other two followed,without a splash,Pete was last,he was just emerging from the gully,when a massive wave came from nowhere,hit him and took him halfway down the rocks,where a second took him into the water,we saw him surface once,about ten metres out ,then never saw him again,by that time I had the ropes untied, ready to throw a lifeline,but never saw him again.

I had spent a month down there on a cliff leader course,the year before,with the Commando Training School,had climbed a fair bit at Sennen,but had never seen waves of that size before.

Lt Spacy was was supposed to be there on that weekend,but had to withdraw because of duties,

Jim.

Jim Scott

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:54 pm

jmc check your private messages
Nick
Aussie Nick
Aussie Nick

Back to top Go down

Aussie Nick.......a favour? Empty re: falling off the rocks!

Post  bill Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:38 pm

Jim...please accept my apologies for announcing your premature demise.............shows what happens when age creeps up...at least I got the place right! Many apologies. Bill

bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 pm

Jim, glad to see you are still alive, I was wondering who I had been in contact with "The ghost from the Village of Ae" lol!
Nick.
Aussie Nick
Aussie Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Scott Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:26 pm

Hi Bill,
No worries still around,I was on that jolly to Mt Olympus,as I remember we had a few ouzos the night before before,with some locals, at the cafe,in the wee village we stayed at prior to the assualt on Olympus, the following morning.

Nick,I'm no just at the ghost stage yet,but at work today, with the heat 25c,(I suppose that is cool to you kangaroo wranglers),I was knackered,but still going,so I have no intention of haunting you in the near future,

Jim.

Jim Scott

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Jim come on down mate it's only 20 deg here today!!! Very Happy
Aussie Nick
Aussie Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Scott Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:58 pm

Hey Nick,Got some winter woolies and longjons,I can send you over if it get's any colder Laughing

Jim.

Jim Scott

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down