3parareunion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The passing of an Airborne Soldier

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The passing of an Airborne Soldier Empty The passing of an Airborne Soldier

Post  Aussie Nick Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:19 am

Richard Todd OBE
Born in Dublin on June 11, 1919, Richard Andrew Palethorpe-Todd spent a
few of his childhood years in India, where his father served as an army
physician. Richard actually trained for a potential military career at
Sandhurst before inaugurating his acting training at the Italia Conta
school. During his early career, he acted in regional theatres, before
co-founding the Dundee Repertory Theatre in 1939. War however was soon
upon the country and he then served throughout during World War II,
first as an officer in the Yorkshire Light Infantry, then as a
paratrooper with the 6th Airborne.

Richard Todd was among those who parachuted into France during the D-Day
Invasion in 1944 his Battalion (7th) made contact with Major Howard at
the Orne Bridge now called Pegasus Bridge. He was the officer who made
the contact. In the ‘Longest Day’ (1962) he played Major Howard and the
meeting with Todd was one scene. In "D Day The 6th of June" he played
the commander of his Battalion in the filming of the same scene.

Larger than life R.I.P.
Aussie Nick
Aussie Nick

Back to top Go down

The passing of an Airborne Soldier Empty The passing of an |Airborne Soldier

Post  Kentish Lad Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi Nick,

Like you I was sad to read of the death of Richard Todd. However for Spenny Causer and I he will always be remembered for the Dam Busters. Cast your mind back to 1960 Sylt waiting to drop on a big NATO Exercise, it was raining cats and dogs and the wind was pretty bad. To keep us amused they decided to show us films in the Cookhouse Marque. The problem was the rain had produced a stream which flowed right through the tent in front of the screen. When the Dam Busters were dropping their bombs empty cans of beer were bounced off this stream by the Toms to the dismay of those sitting at the front. I am sure Spenny was one of the instigators of this because he remembers it so well! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Kentish Lad

Back to top Go down

The passing of an Airborne Soldier Empty Re: The passing of an Airborne Soldier

Post  Tug Wilson Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:23 am

Come on Bill,tell the truth,the real reason you and Stan remember Syld so well is because it was a nudist island not the film,i have more vivid memories of the Bn.running into the sea in the nude, apart from our berets just to preserve some measure of dignity.
I think that was the first time many of us had come across a nudist beach, and those German women were certainly well endowed and a sight for 800 young british paras eyes.That was untill we were banned from the beach(I wonder why?) It couldn't be cos we were doing too much leering could it? no,we were too upstanding for that. Laughing :lol:I still wonder why the powers that be put us on that island.
Tug Wilson
Tug Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kentish Lad Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:28 am

Well Nick,

How come you remember only the beach!! I seem to recall Charlie Cooper coming back from the town in his new Burtons £100 suite pissed, waking up in the morning with it raining hard and his suite, Shirt, shoes and socks all laid out for muster parade outside the tent!! Very Happy Very Happy To top that he was shearching the tent out for his gear not realising that it was outside!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Kentish Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  Kentish Lad Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:31 am

Sorry Tug,

It is a sign of age when I mistake you for Nick!! If you see the up to date photos the b.....d still has a full head of hair!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Are you going to the 3 Para Reunion do at Colchester? Think I might get there.

Kentish Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:34 am

Yes Bill god willing,have already booked into the "Premier Inn" for the Saturday night.Yep seen the pictures,makes you sick don't it? i still have a few wisps on top,but i don't comb it all over to one side Laughing Laughing Laughing
Tug Wilson
Tug Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Full head of hair, beautiful biceps, terrific triceps,Knees are knackered,stomach cant take more than a couple of glasses of claret, so I try a flagon of course I'm a beautiful sveldt Barsteward. You should have rubbed cow shit into your scalps and that would have saved your hair like mine. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Aussie Nick.
There is always someone watching!
Aussie Nick
Aussie Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:34 pm

Forgot to say "I'm younger than you two, of course"
Aussie Nick. Rolling Eyes
Aussie Nick
Aussie Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  terryg Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:05 am

The Dambuster's I got to watch it everynight at the local Cinema as my older brother was the Projetionist. You three old buggars are making me feel young. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Giff
terryg
terryg

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:19 am

I just comfort myself thinking that you had one of those Koala bear things stuck to your head when the picture was taken,it can't be a Haggis co's i know they don't run wild down your neck of the woods(They can't stand the heat)that's why the Haggis farms in Scotland refuse to export any to a country with a hot climate,you will know that most people think that the Haggis is bald,but in fact, prior to being killed and prepared for cooking the long hair and legs are removed.I know these things, having been told them by a Scottish policeman,who rides a bike, and has a penny with a hole it in his top left hand pocket,so it must be true!!!!.
Terry, i can assure you i have never buggered anyone in my life(Well not a male anyway,or do females count too?I didn't know your honour,Honest)and if our being old makes you feel younger Terry,your LHG is in our debt Very Happy Very Happy
Tug Wilson
Tug Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kentish Lad Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:39 am

Hi Terry,

Now you are offically a wrinkley I think that you had better watch your step!! Tug & I hope to be at Colchester in March, how about you?? Did you enjoy your trip to Arnhem you never let on the result!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Kentish Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Scott Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:08 pm

Just a question for Tug and Kentish Lad,I see you were talking about Syllt,I was there,so you must have been in at the same time as me,I was 1 and 2Pln 59/64,Shug Wynne ,Chay Blythe,Titch Dolton, Chic Gough to name but a few, were all in 164 Pln through the depot,Bernie Hoffam was Pln Sgt,he was killed in the Hastings crash at Abingdon in the 60s,,poor guy.

Tug don't worry abou the centre parting mines is obout 6ins wide but no sair,as for Nick's hair, that was him with his head up the roo's arse,that used to be his avatar

Jim Scott

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi Jim,
The jungle drums have it that you were down at the P Coy 10 miler in the shot a few weeks back,and that have not been too well of late,I hope that your health has improved,that is if the jungle drums were correct and it was you they were talking about.
In '59 i was in the A/Tks with Joe Horden as Pln Comd, "Pompey" Norman and "Wee" Pal Furguson as Pln Sgts."Aussie" Nick was for a while before upsetting "Pompey" he can tell you that story,Jimmy Grant,Chick Hulston,Bill Marshall,Alfie Benson,Luis Swartz to name a few were also in the A/Tks, later we had Chey Blyth and John Ridgeway as Pln Sgt and Pln Comd prior to the rowing event,i later went to C Coy where Terry G was and the Famous "Herman the German" some of those names you might remember.Up in the Radfan i was Pln Sgt of 1 Pln in A Coy with Maj Walsh as OC.
Yes talking about Syld, i always wondered why they put 800 rampant Paras on a nudist island,and not expect them to do a bit of Blimping given the chance!!!! if i remember correctly we only had a few good days,the rest of the time it was blowing a gale and raining cats and dogs."Kentish Lad"(Bill F) might well put a few more names up for you after seeing your post.
Keep Well mate, Utrinque Paratus.
Tug
Tug Wilson
Tug Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:38 pm

Now then Sylt was great! and the drop afterwards near the kiel canal was one of the best DZ's I have ever dropped on all plowed over and as soon as I landed before even getting out of my harness there was a German Medic checking that I was okay! Later on during one of the ops we attacked an Engineer bridge building unit, all consisting of National Servicemen who had never been attacked before. Pete Jones-Evans was my Sect Comd and we all got separated from the rest of the Coy, when we finaly made radio contact we were a few clicks from the Coy. We stopped a large civvy truck and climed aboard but it was a flat bed. The "Jocks" stopped us with a tank across the road so we threw apples at them as that was all we had and we went into the Bag. Ferried around in an APC.
The Maj. Gen. at the time came to see us as prisoners and laugh at the apple incident. The gentleman was "Frost" of the Bridge fame. there were some "Yanks " there as well and they wanted to know if we spoke English.
Jimmy you leave my Roo alone! and Tug, in the A?Tks there was a chap called Bill Jones and who was the Taffy with the pipe? do you remember that Maj Stuckey was the OC he of the eight jumps "Parachuting is my business" fame. Bill what ever happened to Sid Condon ? there was another laugh in with him in Germany but that is another story for another day.
Aussie Nick. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Nice to see that we are now five old buggers.
Aussie Nick
Aussie Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:03 am

Nick,
Who could forget Maj Stukey (ex Staffs) do you remember his famous speech when briefing Support Company on the coming night drop that the Company on landing and clearing the heavy drop, were to RV on the "Black Light" (Black being S/P Coys colour,Red being A Coys colour etc) groans and laughter all around till someone mentioned "Just how were we to do that in the dark" it took him a few minutes before he realised what the fuss was about!!

How about the incident with his brand new caravanette, when he foolishly parked the said van down at the butts end of Ash ranges (silly bugger thought he was fire proof)),when we at the 300m firing point with 10 or 12 LMGs!!! each gun put 2or 3 rounds into it when given the word "Watch and shoot,Watch and shoot" there were then frantic calls on the range telephone from C/Sgt Bill Boyce at least i think it was Bill at that time in the Butts saying Stukey was jumping up and down with rage. Very Happy Very Happy What he didn't know, and i don't know if he ever found out, was that the CSM at the time(MacCauly also ex Staffs) had mentioned to the gunners "Put a couple into it".Now it turned out that the CSM had been an officer(war time Commission) in Stukeys Regiment in the Far East during the war, and had earned the MC for an action that had also saved Stukeys life,and now here he was,( having had to revert his commission at the end of the war) a CSM and Stukey a Maj.There was no love lost there,for some reason unbeknown to me,they hated each other.
Tug Wilson
Tug Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kentish Lad Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:54 am

Hi Jim,

The old grey cells are a bit slow at the moment but I do remember the names mentioned. Chick Gough was a great footballer but I remember him for Xmas in Bahrain 62 when he kept playing the bag pipes and somebody went and buried them for him!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Spenny Causer was a boxer and a footballer for the Battalion he lives not far from me he was in Sp Coy Assault Pioneers. I am in contact with Herman (Eric!!) the German, never knew his christian name until we spoke last year!! Very Happy Very Happy He mentioned Joe Lyall who he is in contact with who still lives in the Aldershot area and Ginger Valance who he tells me is not very well. I meet Nick a couple of years ago when he came over to Locherbie as mentioned the old git was looking very well!!! I have been trying to put some photos up that I found but maybe I really am getting to old. For Tug how about two other names who I went to see last year Alan Winfield MMG and Mick Scones Anti Tanks both were in my Platoon 141 along with Dutch Holland,Algie Hilton and others names escape me at present.

Kentish Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Yes Bill,

I remember those names,i also remember "Chic" Gough playing those bloody bagpipes on top of SP Coys Block in Corunna Bks one night after he had a skinfull inside him,he was walking up and down the top ridge of the block playing the "Wailing Pig" oblivious of the 50 foot drop either side of him!!! took ages to get him down.

A few other names to bring back some memories,"Red" Robinson,Harry Bidleston,"Big" John Will,"Dad" Rowdnight,all MMGs,then Guy Pelham,Jimmy Leach,Cpl Bird,Hugh Henderson(Who lost an eye in the shooting range down town)all A/Tks, and the only one i can remember from the Mor Pln is Johnny Balls,who was one of the founder members of the "Red Freds" and later went onto the Army Air Corps after the Radfan tour.

Knowing "Spenny" was in the Assault Pioneers,you must ask him if he had anything to do with the blowing up of the Assault course which was put down to them at the time,it came about when the CO "Rolly" Gibbs decided that the whole Battalion needed extra fitness training and were to form up on the square on a Saturday morning in PT Kit to complete the Assault course, however some of the obstacles had disappeared late on the Friday night with the help of some 808 or PE3 Laughing Laughing So many story's, some many characters where are they all now?
Happy Days.
Tug Wilson
Tug Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:18 pm

It couldn't have been the Assault Pioneers that took out the tree between Sp Coy Lines and the Naafi, on the morning of the dress rehearsal for trooping the colour in Corruna Bks could it??? Jock Rennie had the prisoners out at "OH Dark Hundred" to clear it all away, with old Ms Mac terrified! and who were the strange names on the daily detail for room jobs in the Mortars? Fat Shirley and Neety Nora etc. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Aussia Nick.
Aussie Nick
Aussie Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Kentish Lad Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:53 am

Yes Tug & Nick right on both counts for the Assault Pioneers regarding the assault course and the tree!! The story I heard however was some new officer kept the going around the assault course until they were really knackered, they said if he sent them around again they would "Fix" it!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Spenny is still alive and kicking I believed he is in contact with Nick as well. By the way Tug were you in the Anti Tanks when Ridgeway arrived!! I think he cocked up slightly up country in Muscate, with the demo? Is that right!! Also Nick, Spenny remembers the drop in Germany as he was the only one to go in that lake in the middle of the DZ, he said he never really got wet as the German Medics had him out so quick!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Kentish Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Scott Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:20 am

Tug Wilson wrote:Hi Jim,
The jungle drums have it that you were down at the P Coy 10 miler in the shot a few weeks back,and that have not been too well of late,I hope that your health has improved,that is if the jungle drums were correct and it was you they were talking about.
In '59 i was in the A/Tks with Joe Horden as Pln Comd, "Pompey" Norman and "Wee" Pal Furguson as Pln Sgts."Aussie" Nick was for a while before upsetting "Pompey" he can tell you that story,Jimmy Grant,Chick Hulston,Bill Marshall,Alfie Benson,Luis Swartz to name a few were also in the A/Tks, later we had Chey Blyth and John Ridgeway as Pln Sgt and Pln Comd prior to the rowing event,i later went to C Coy where Terry G was and the Famous "Herman the German" some of those names you might remember.Up in the Radfan i was Pln Sgt of 1 Pln in A Coy with Maj Walsh as OC.
Yes talking about Syld, i always wondered why they put 800 rampant Paras on a nudist island,and not expect them to do a bit of Blimping given the chance!!!! if i remember correctly we only had a few good days,the rest of the time it was blowing a gale and raining cats and dogs."Kentish Lad"(Bill F) might well put a few more names up for you after seeing your post.
Keep Well mate, Utrinque Paratus.
Tug

Hi Tug and Bill,
Tug It wasn't me at the 10 miler,I've never been back in the Shot since I came out in 64,mind you at that time ther were a couple of Jim Scott's in the bn,there was also George Scott,A Coy,cpl made sgt,about the same time as Joe Day and Fred Harper. Pompey was also 1pln,sgt,Ed Gardiner was pln com.
Jimmy, Chick,Shug Wynne,Aussie Nick,Red Robinson,Gill Ghani,Myself plus others,were all in the team that won the Army tug o war championshis early 60,

There are a lot of familiar names there guys,Jock "The Animal" Rennie,Ginge Vallance.Big Jock Will,he of the pints of VP Wine and half of whisky fame,others that spring to mind are Jim Driscol,Taff Jones- Evans,Alfie Crompton,Dickie Meadows the memory is getting better,(not)
Well chaps,great to get in contact after all of those years,great things these computers,even though I struggle at times, cheers men,all the best to all the Airborne Brotherhood over the festive period.

Jim.

Jim Scott

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:12 am

On the night of the "tree" incident i was on stag having a sly dogend down by Mrs Macs establishment watching it go down,and yes it was the assault Pioneers,next morning on being quizzed by the RSM i said i knew nothing about it, as i was up the other end of camp keeping an eye on the "Hot Pie" machine outside Bn HQ Block that used to get broken into on a regular basis(Honest Sir, never saw a thing!!!!)
Who was it from the MMGs who sprayed all the windows in SP Coy Block with tar,never did find out who did that,it was about the time" Chic" Gough did his dancing on the roof trick,i have a feeling it was on the night of one of the All Ranks dos(punch ups) over in Maida Gym.
Tug Wilson
Tug Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kentish Lad Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:29 am

Hi Tug,

Glad it was you on guard that night and not me. Spenny confirms it was the AP who did the darastardly deed I expect they had been on the VP & Boot Polish. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy. Glad you mentioned the guy who lost his eye on the rifle range, I have a guy who lives up the road who edits a gun mag I told him about this and he had never heard of it and asked for more details, perhaps you could oblige. Another memory came flooding back with this rotten weather. You mentioned the Canadian Artic Warfare Course in 62-63, I went out early and did the instructors course with some names you may remember. Jimmy Hand RIP, Alan Coates RIP, Doug Wilkinson its terrible there were only 15 of us and the other names escape me. What came to mind was how B....y cold it was but because it was a dry cold it did not seem to effect us in the same way!! Off to Spain in the Motor Home on the 3rd Jan back on the 29th. no doubt it will be fine while I am away and then turn again when I get back Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Kentish Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Bill,
Reference the loss of Geordie's eye, it must have been in 59/60, a few of us including Jimmy Leach,"Geordie" Henderson and myself went down town and ended up in the amusement arcade where they had if you remember a .22 shooting range(along with the tattooist i think his name was Scaise)Anyway we were all having a go on the range when Geordie exclaimed he had something in his right eye,he didn't seem too worried at first,and was rubbing, it until we looked in his eye to see right in the middle of his iris was some white stuff protruding.We took him straight up to CMH where it was found that a small piece of a .22 round was embedded in it.
The long and the short of it was they had to remove the eye,as there was no hope of saving the sight in that eye,and the doctors felt they could not take out the lead without removing the eye and to leave it in would cause more problems.
The Arcade held an inquiry,and the outcome was that the stop butts,(metal plates angled backwards down at an angle towards sand)were as they should be,but that one of Geordie's shots had hit the very edge of one of these plates,splitting the bullet in two,one piece being deflected downwards as it should,the other piece ricoshaying back into his eye.As far as i remember no blame was ever connected or aimed at the arcade for the accident.
I had a small 1938 austin seven car at that time,and remember taking Geordie to have his false eye fitted at some place near Farnham,and when we went to collect them he was given three,one for the day,one for night,and one that was bloodshot which made us laugh,later he was discharged as being "Unfit for military service"
When Jimmy Leach left the Bn in 1960 he did contact Geordie and they met up a few times,but they lost touch and he hasn't been able to contact him again since.(I have nothing further to report Sir.)
Tug Wilson
Tug Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Nick Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:16 pm

Tug Wilson wrote:On the night of the "tree" incident i was on stag having a sly dogend down by Mrs Macs establishment watching it go down,and yes it was the assault Pioneers,next morning on being quizzed by the RSM i said i knew nothing about it, as i was up the other end of camp keeping an eye on the "Hot Pie" machine outside Bn HQ Block that used to get broken into on a regular basis(Honest Sir, never saw a thing!!!!)
Who was it from the MMGs who sprayed all the windows in SP Coy Block with tar,never did find out who did that,it was about the time" Chic" Gough did his dancing on the roof trick,i have a feeling it was on the night of one of the All Ranks dos(punch ups) over in Maida Gym.

Tug I remember that "hot pie" machine well. one could stand with ones back to it and keep warm for a while followed by a well aimed rifle butt (Or were we still using pick handles?) at a preselected glass door, secured one a hot steak and kidney and a quick tour up around the Stables and the Officers Mess before reporting that "some unknown person had done the hot pie machine again" obviously not forgetting to wipe the gravy from ones chin. The reference to the All Ranks Dance brings it all back "The next dance will be a fight"
Nick Smile Smile Smile
Aussie Nick
Aussie Nick

Back to top Go down

Post  Tug Wilson Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Yes you got it Nick,pick helves at that time,i think the pie machine got busted into so often (By those on stag mostly) that the RSM who i think was" Freemantle" at the time got it taken away,spoil sport. Laughing
Tug Wilson
Tug Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next